Level 1 Training is intended to provide a basic understanding of horticultural concepts necessary to complete the volunteer service required for certification, as well as learning where to acquire additional information and resources in order to answer questions.
Master Gardener Training is about…..
- Master Gardener Volunteers (MGV’s) Teaching, Learning, Leading and Serving
- Connecting people with the University of Wisconsin and engaging them in transforming lives and communities.
It’s also about:
• Learning to ask the right questions and knowing how to look up information from appropriate resources,
• Helping deliver meaningful community programs to improve the well-being of individuals and communities,
ttto protect natural resources, and to help keep fresh fruits and vegetables on the table,
• Working in tandem with UW-Extension staff and other volunteers to make a difference in the places we live, learn, and work.
It’s NOT about knowing everything about gardening.
BEING a Master Gardener is about becoming a VOLUNTEER with the University of Wisconsin-Extension to help educate the public about gardening and natural resources.
What do Crawford County MGV’s do?
They assist their local UW-Extension educators address identified community needs, such as: Beautification projects in downtowns and parks; Creating safe greenspaces; School garden programs to promote science awareness in kids; Answering garden questions; Facilitate gardening projects at schools, libraries, etc.; Use gardening to teach life skills to the incarcerated and much, much more!!
How do I know if I’d make a good Master Gardener volunteer?
- Potential Master Gardener Volunteers should be interested in horticulture, dependable, unbiased and open–minded, and willing to help people with their horticultural concerns.
- Master Gardener Volunteers offer their expertise to local horticulture projects, and they volunteer their services for community beautification projects, gardening workshops, and other programs.
- Do you want to learn more about plants and gardening?
- Are you eager to participate in a practical and intensive training program?
- Do you enjoy sharing your knowledge with others?
- Do you have the time to attend training and serve your community as a volunteer educator?
XXXXXXXXIf so, you are MOST likely an excellent Master Gardener Volunteer candidate!!
So, what’s expected of and from me? How Do I Sign Up? Answers to those questions are easily found here….