Crawford County UW-Extension is seeking one half-time AmeriCorps farm to school member for a position beginning in August 2015. The AmeriCorps Farm to School program is a great opportunity to engage in public service, gain professional development and actively participate in the Farm to School movement. We are looking for a self-motivated team player with a passion for inspiring healthy eating among youth and promoting local agriculture and the local food systems. Working with the AmeriCorps nutrition educator, the community outreach member will:
- Develop Harvest of the Month materials
- Work with school food service staff to source local foods from area farmers
- Plan community events that promote farm to school
- Oversee school gardens and community volunteers
- Conduct community outreach to strengthen the local food system
Home base for this position is the Crawford County UW-Extension Office in Prairie du Chien. The schools involved are Prairie du Chien Public, Prairie du Chien Catholic, Wauzeka, Seneca and North Crawford.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Passion for promoting the local food system, healthy eating, and local agriculture
- Ability to work independently and well as in a team setting
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and ability to provide one’s own transportation
- Must be a US Citizen, US National or lawful permanent resident alien
- Minimum education Requirement: High School Graduate/GED
- Experience in education, nutrition or agriculture
- Experience working with youth in an educational setting
- Experience working with farmers
- Knowledge of and connections with local producers
- Skillful in establishing and maintianing professional work relationships
- Experience recruiting and managing volunteers.
BENEFITS: Each member will receive a small bi-weekly stipend, student loan deferment, and a $2,775 education award at the end of service. Other benefits include professional development and the opportunity to serve the community. Reimbursement is also provided for travel from the office to participating communities.
Position available until filled. Mandatory training August 19-21st in Madison. To apply please submit a resume, two professional references and a letter of interest including a statement explaining why you think farm-to-school is important for Crawford County schools to Jane Schaaf at email@example.com or mail to Crawford County UW Extension 225 N Beaumont Rd Prairie du Chien, WI 53821 Emailed applications are preferred. For more information 608-326-0223 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
This program is available to all, without regards to race, color, national origin, disability, age, sex, political affiliation or religion. An EEO/AA employer, UW- Extension, AmeriCorps and DATCP provide equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title IX and ADA requirements.